Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: The Teachings of Fremont

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited December 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

The Teachings of Fremont

Some people just stay with you long after they are gone. In this episode, Dan Holohan remembers his friend Fremont Lobbestael and his lessons on steam heating and life.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
Roohollah

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,569
    Options
    I have read this before. With a name like Fremont Lobbestael I always wondered if he was a real person or a fictional one. Now I know. I worked for an old timer like that for 15 years. He was quite a character as well. The good old days. They were both great men.

"he also taught me about life and about how to be a better man."

I had that same experience.

BradHotNColdErin Holohan Haskell
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Dan, as you do so often, you pass on lessons for living, both your own and those you have been given. Thank you!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Thanks so much for listening. He was unforgettable.
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    Dan, There is a very big, yet quiet pleasure in sharing what I've learned with others. It lets me be useful. It's easy to imagine Fremont Lobbestael felt the same way. Thanks for keeping him alive! I imagine he's feeling pretty useful right about now!

Yours, Larry
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks for that, Larry. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • johnlobb
    johnlobb Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks so much for the kind words, Dan! I drove Dad to a couple of your seminars, and we both really enjoyed them, and learned much. My favorite and wisest seminar in my opinion, was your attempt to get mechanics to be able to sell their services and equipment more effectively. Yours, Fremont John Lobbestael (I use John as a first name because there was only one Fremont)
    Erin Holohan HaskellLarry WeingartenPC7060mattmia2
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    So good to hear from you, John. And I love your last sentence. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Options
    It was an inspiring and instructive story which had great tips to learn . In fact he was like no others . I would say that people like him are rare and they are unique and unforgettable . May His soul Rest in peace . Thank you for sharing another wonderful story . Stay Safe , Roohollah
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, Roohollah.
    Retired and loving it.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 208
    Options
    Dan, your stories are always the best!
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Great story>

Have another temporary fix for a leaking boiler.
    When I first started out my mechanic was 65 years old, I was 16.
    This was 1958. He my mechanic (Mario) who spoke with a very heavy accent had many tricks learned over his years in the business.

The best one that I used was to fix a leak in a boiler and I am not talking about a teakettle that heats a two family home was to put oat meal into a leaking boiler.

The oat meal works it way toward the leak and eventually plugs the leak.
    You can see how the oat meal works by making some. Do not stir the oat meal in the pot, you will see how lumpy the oat meal becomes

How much oat meal do you use, that depends, the last time I did this it was for a boiler heating a 20 family house, it took me the better part of a day to get the right amount in the boiler, For that boiler it was 5 lbs at 2 PSIg. That was xmas morning. The oat meal treatment went on for three times to keep the boiler running till May.

Jake

Merry Xmas and a happy new year to you all.

CLamb
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Good one, Jake! Thanks for sharing. And I"ll bet the boiler's cholesterol was lower when you were done. :D
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,317
    Options
    Okay, Can't help it. My first car was a a 1930 Model A sport coupe. I got it i pieces and had to put it back together. I was fifteen. The radiator leaked so I asked around and the two fixes then were oatmeal and black pepper. Oatmeal was quicker, but pepper worked longer. No cholesterol and hot! :p

Yours, Larry
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    😂
    Retired and loving it.
  • Lorialice
    Lorialice Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Wonderful reminder of an old friend! Did you know he was actually a Sunday school teacher? He would pull the back row kids to the front where the chairs were empty..
    Once he brought a Roman coin from the time of Jesus to class. He took it from his breast pocket loose, and handed it around. He had a great knowledge of history, but more importantly was given the gift of understanding the spiritual meaning of the story’s in our bible history. He had a nickname from us kids. In church, without fail, he would walk back and check the thermostat every Sunday. We lovingly called him Freemosat. He heard about his nickname late in life , and it gave him a chuckle I think.
    We went to dinner in his home. It was as very neat and clean. He had boxes of old comics, good ones like roadrunner,Richie rich, Casper the friendly ghost, and of course Archie. We would pass the hours while the adults visited reading away the long afternoon .
  • Lorialice
    Lorialice Member Posts: 2
    Options
    “Freemostat”
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes, I knew he taught Sunday school, but you just made it sweeter. Thanks for sharing that. I can’t stop smiling. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Hutzel's shop is a couple blocks away from my house.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options
    Here is their original store downtown
    https://aadl.org/aastreets/site6/aastreets_hutzel
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That’s Fremont on the left! 😉
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2