Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Newly Installed Smart Thermostat Blinking On/Off

Options
Hi everyone,

I just had a Honeywell RTH9585 wifi smart thermostat installed, however the main screen just keeps blinking on and off, as shown below. I can’t get past this. Could this be a wiring issue perhaps? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    If you just had it installed, where's the installer?
    steve
    mattmia2
  • HelpMeImCold
    HelpMeImCold Member Posts: 22
    Options
    My wife decided that it’d be a good idea to get a random person from the nextdoor app to do it. The home screen was up and running when he left until it started to blink on and off. I’d rather not call him again
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Stop payment. He or she should've checked heat, cool, and fan operation before they left.
    Can you post a pic of the sub base and wires? 
    Love the wallpaper BTW. That's hot.
  • austin907
    austin907 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Check the wiring and associated installation manual. Smart thermostats typically require a C-Wire (common wire) to draw power compared to the older thermostats. If your house does not have a C-Wire or it has not been connected, it can cause power issues with smart thermostats.
  • HelpMeImCold
    Options
    I believe the c wire is the issue. I’m having a family friend actually come to take a look at it. I will check back in with what the issue is!
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Stranger...family friend...lol
    steve
    SuperTech
  • HelpMeImCold
    Options
    Enough out of you Steve.

it turns out that the thermostat required too much power. Had about 24V and between all the moving parts on the boiler there just wasn’t enough power for the thermostat. We put the old one back on and will probably get a new, non wifi thermostat
    mattmia2SuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Had you called a competent, professional HVAC person it would installed quickly and correctly, and could've solved your C-wire issue. And you would've had your wifi thermostat.
    I'm more offended that you blamed your wife.
    steve
    mattmia2Dayton_DudeSuperTechEdTheHeaterMan
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Why not just parallel another 40 VA transformer to the existing transformer. It would have to be done in phase.
    STEVEusaPA
  • MarkWiloey
    MarkWiloey Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had the same problem and it turn out to be a wire color coding problem with the furnace with the red and white being reversed. I wired the red to the thermostat white terminal and the white to the red and it fixed the problem.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited March 30
    Options

I'm more offended that you blamed your wife.

I think it is the wall paper that is causing the problem. And that is definitely the wife’s fault. No man in his right mind would select that wallpaper. Unless of course, the home was passed down from 4 generations ago. Then it is great-grandma's fault.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics