Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best place for upstairs thermostat with south facing master bedroom?

Options
We have a two story home. The 2nd level has it's own furnace. The thermostat is currently located in the master bedroom, which is the only bedroom that is south facing. The other 3 bedrooms upstairs are on the other 3 sides of the home. The one bedroom on the north side of the house is also above the garage and appears to get much colder than the other rooms in the winter because of this.

So typically people advise to put the thermostat in a bedroom on an interior wall and then in the master, since that's where you want easy access to it. However in my case, since the master is the only southern facing bedroom, I feel that the temperature in there is always warmer than the other 3 bedrooms and generally is not a good representation for what the entire upstairs temperature is at any given moment.

So where should it be? I know that people typically advise against putting a thermostat in a hallway, but in a hallway somewhere right in the middle between north and south seems like it would give better results and provide a more accurate overall temperature representation of what the upstairs is currently at.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Is there one central return in the hall or does each room have a return?
    Nothing wrong with a thermostat in the hall as long as it's in the path of return air, receives no sun, and not above an open foyer to below where heat from the first floor will rise and make the hall warmer than the rooms.
    You could also get a thermostat that accepts remote sensors to make an average between rooms.

• jakobud
    jakobud Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2021
    Options
    There is a central return in the hall. Each individual room has a "mini return" that is simply a duct that goes from inside the room to the hallway, but honestly I don't feel like they work very well at all.

So yeah it would be in the hallway but also the hallway has open stairs to below... So I dunno how well that would work. Might still be better than the master.

I use a Nest Thermostat and I know that Nest also makes some remote temperature sensors. Are those temperature sensors only useful in a multi-zoned system with dampers? Or do they also help average out the temperature in all the rooms?