Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler setting for panel radiators?

skiereric
skiereric Member Posts: 66
edited December 2021 in Radiant Heating
I am questioning the boiler setting (as well as most things with my system) for my Weil-Mclain 155 97+.

My house is heated by 25 Stelrad panel radiators + one beacon morris kick space heater.

I have realized the heat setting is currently set to "Fan-coil" which has a preset max supply of 190 and min supply of 140.

As well as Boiler Circulator Spd of High, Min run time is set to 15 minutes.

I don't think a Stelrad panel is a "fan-coil" I believe the max supply is too high for my Stelrad panels.

Any advice on what the boiler heat setting should be for this setup? I have attached the manual, page 77 is the relevant page.

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited December 2021
    Were the Stellrad radiators designed for 180 SWT or 140SWT ? Your existing settings are too high and will need to be reduced. The amount of reduction is directly related to the sizing of the Stellrads. I design for 140 and the radiators are larger, but heat the home at design temp on the coldest days. I presume the radiators were installed with thermostatic radiator valves?
  • You're right on track: The fan coil setting is too high.

Go with the CIB (Cast Iron Baseboard) settings; it should keep you plenty warm.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • skiereric
    skiereric Member Posts: 66

Were the Stellrad radiators designed for 180 SWT or 140SWT ? Your existing settings are too high and will need to be reduced. The amount of reduction is directly related to the sizing of the Stellrads. I design for 140 and the radiators are larger, but heat the home at design temp on the coldest days. I presume the radiators were installed with thermostatic radiator valves?

Out of the 25 rads, 12 have TRVs (however all are without a head - I am picking up heads today) 8 have shut off valves and the remaining have no control at all.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Your job is 1/2 done. Put the TRV valves and heads on all of the radiators
    Rich_49skiereric
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    A rule of thumb when not in the loop with the design . Fan coil or baseboard 180-200 , radiators 140-160 , If you get an over ride lower it down ... I would recommend a outdoor reset to flatten the curve
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    skiereric