Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CycleGard cycles constantly even when not heating.

Options
JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
I see how the term "Psycho Gard" came to be.

This is a CH 450 1560. This runs it cycle constantly 24/7.
So boiler might fire toward the end of the 15 minute cycle. Shut down for the 60 seconds but the tstat loses power during this 60 seconds and adds a few minutes of "Wait" time before calling for heat again.

So the total shut down time might be 4 minutes.

Any easy way to have it rest when not heating and start the 15 minute cycle when the heating cycle actually starts.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    Options
    I assume not everyone changes these out.
    Is there any way to start the timer cycle when the burner actually starts?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    My LWCO is no longer wired in before the thermostat, it's wired in after.

I'd recommend the same in the situation you described unless you at least get rid of the Cycle Guard.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    This one is a 120 VAC unit.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

This one is a 120 VAC unit.

Ah,
    So there's no way to stop it from interrupting power to the thermostat?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    JUGHNE
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    There are probably numerous options involving a relay, the most straightforward and foolproof but not necessarily simplest being to have a separate xfmr for the t-stat and the t-stat operates a relay that sits where the t-stat is now.
    JUGHNE
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    With 120 applied always to the LWCO, the 15 minute/60 second cycle is always running. So on initial fire you could be 14 minutes into the 15 minute cycle and get 1 minute of fire time before shut down.....which amounts to an actual 4 minutes to restart.

I&O for CG450 shows "SmartCycle" optional activation which used the "burner " terminal going to the orange wire on an oil burner control.
    Where could and would this connect to a 24 VAC control system?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    How is it wired now? Does orange go to the transformer? Orange could power a relay that was in the safety chain for the burner although I'm not sure how I feel about some random relay being part of the burner safety chain.