Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

D.W. WHITEHEAD

There was a discussion back 18 years ago (2004) about DW WHITEHEAD water heaters. I found it through google when I had issues with my water heater.  Someone had met the owners daughter , who at the time had to be in her later years.  That was and is still the only hit I could find on google about my water heater. Well I wanted to share since many were intrigued about it. I still have one in use. If anyone has any literature on it I would love to get at least a copy/pdf of it.  Any other info on these bad boys other than I believe it is from 1947?  The only parts I could find were on ebay and it was just the Decal for 75 bucks!!!  Picture attached, works like a charm!!!
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Probably made by Vaughn. I have a similar water heater made by Vaughn same color and everything. Probably relabeled by DW Whitehead. Very common around here. The electric utility's around here used to install them as rental water heaters. They are stone lined and weigh a ton but they do last a long time.
    kcopp
  • Powerguy
    Powerguy Member Posts: 2
    I reached out to Vaughn tonight via their website. I probably jinxed myself by taking the picture 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I have a customer hat has a 60 gallon Vaughn that was installed in 1973. Still running just fine. Its in a tennis club so the use is a bit on the lower side vs. a regular household.
    Crazy heavy...

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    @kcopp

I have an 80 gallon stone lined Vaughn in my condo. How they got it down where it is I will never know. We could easily get by with a 40 gallon, everything here is electric.

Gonna have to cut it up when the time comes
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    edited December 2021
    Hi, Now I'm wondering if there was more than one Whitehead making water heaters. Here's a tag from a Whitehead Monel tank, probably from the 1950s.

Yours, Larry
    Mad Dog_2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @Larry Weingarten

Do you know if Whitehead mad their own tanks or were they relabled Vaughn's??
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi @EBEBRATT-Ed , Before now I didn't know Whitehead had a stone-lined tank. All I had seen or read about was the Monel tank. But, we may be talking about two different Whiteheads. D W Whitehead is a new name to me. The General Society has the file on Whitehead that I had collected. Maybe someone there can have a look to see if there is any useful information? ;)

Yours, Larry
  • marvin9679
    marvin9679 Member Posts: 1
    I don't mean to interrupt the thread but I was just doing a search on my hot water heater that's finally about to bite the big one. It's a DW White and the last owners are the ones that built the house in 1936 and their kids said they installed it in here in the '40s and I have no idea what I'm dealing with.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    The one in the picture at the top is probably 70's or later with the vinyl romex and the Phillips screws.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Monel...that was very popular at one time . Mad Dog 🐕