Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Two-Pipe Trap Connection

Options
Corktown
Corktown Member Posts: 34
edited December 2021 in Strictly Steam
The trap connection on my two-pipe bedroom radiator is leaking. I over-torqued the over-sized nut while trying to seal the connection after working on the radiator. (I guess there is a reason for using a correctly sized wrench for a particular job!)

This resulted in a tear developing in the flange portion of the connection (which i'm guessing is part of the trap side of the equation?). I would thing that simply replacing the trap fitting is what needs to be done. A few years back (yes, that long!), I coated the threads with an automotive grease / sealer (bluish stuff, I can't remember what it was) that seemed to work for awhile. Then a year ago, as the first job started to falter, no-so-smart guy used JB weld around the affected bits, which hasn't work too well.

How big of a deal is it to replace the trap fitting, the way I should have done in the first place, and as an expedient until this takes place, is there a recommendation for something to smear on the connections when I chip the JB weld off, until the job is done properly?

Also, are there any "Obi-wan kanobi's", steam-wise, that anyone knows of in the Detroit area? There are plenty of contractors, but no one that I know of that stands out, like so many of the stalwarts on this website over the years.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    Yes buy a new trap and change the whole thing. The old trap nut will probably not fit a new trap and don't sell those parts sepa thinkretly I don't think.

Try @offdutytech u can pM him. I think he is in your area. If not maybe he can recommend someone
  • mygardenshed
    mygardenshed Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Have a look at this.
    https://youtu.be/BZaTTAME88k
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    That works. You can also take a grinder or a Dremel and cut the nut off the spud. Then you can get a pipe wrench on the sput.

Jamb something inside the spud so you don't crush the spud.

I have also made internal spud wrenches by taking some square steel stock and grinding it to fit inside and grabbing the lugs on the spud
  • Corktown
    Corktown Member Posts: 34
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Thanks EBEBRATT-ed and Mygardenshed, for all of your help with this issue.

The video was very well-made and informative, and I’m sure it will help more than a few people out who are perusing the website as time goes by. After watching the video, I remember that I slightly tore the back of the cap on the spud open when I over-torqued it on the threads to the trap fitting. 

So it looks like a spud  removal is an order. 

I will be reaching out to @offdutytech

With much appreciation,

Erik
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Options
    Corktown I got your PM will give you a shout tomm
    Corktown