Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking from condensate pump

Options
hello i have water leaking out of both sides of this pump could you please let me know how i can fix this.its coming from this opening 

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is this the system that had steam coming out of the feeder tank?

Is that date 12-18-20 for a new motor or motor and pump?

I would venture that the water seal is shot and needs replaced.
    Or maybe the entire pump.

Ever run dry.... or pumping almost steam temp water....or chemicals added directly to the feeder tank...or pumping sand/dirt.....or any or all of above?

If never abused then maybe warranty call....less than a year old.

Is there a strainer on the inlet of the tank?
  • Summit_heatcool
    Summit_heatcool Member Posts: 10
    Options
    JUGHE this is a different system. their system is another abused system no strainer no chemicals very dirty water. you would recommend replacing the entire pump 
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    Needs a new seal or pump. A motor shop can replace the seal. But you need to find the cause as @JUGHNE mentioned
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I have changed a seal in cond pump that was noisy, probably from adding chemicals to the pump tank.
    Not brain surgery.
    As long as the shaft is not scored it works out OK.

The 4 bolts would be all you need to remove, after draining the tank of course.
    Need seal kit and gasket.
    Does it leak all the time or just when pumping?

If they cannot tolerate the down time just get a new pump for the housing.

I would add a strainer, flush the tank and clean up the water as much as possible.
  • Summit_heatcool
    Summit_heatcool Member Posts: 10
    Options
    leaks just when pumping. tank is very hot going to be looking for a bad trap some where causing steam to come back to tank. thank you for all the advice 
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 906
    Options
    When changing the seal, do not touch the ceramic part of the seal with your finger or any foreign object.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 659
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I have a problem with the design of this particular pump. Most condensate pumps like this have an external copper tube for venting any trapped air in the pump's seal cavity back to the receiving tank.

This particular example has internal air relief passages which can get blocked or misaligned. When this happens trapped air stays in the shaft seal cavity causing the seal to fail due to running dry.

If considering a whole replacement pump and motor assembly, I would choose one that uses an external copper tube for venting the pump's seal cavity. You will have to drill and tap the receiver tank for 1/8-27 NPT threads for the tank side connection. Several manufacturers use this 2.75 X 5" inlet flange bolt pattern.

Also, choice of the seal's rubber elastomers is important. Most common is Buna which is only good for 225*F. Viton is good for 400*F. EPR is good for 300*F.

If Amines are used in boiler water treatment, Buna and Viton elastomers are not recommended. EPR is acceptable for use with Amine based water treatment chemicals.

My recommendation is to use EPR elastomer seals whenever practical.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
    JUGHNE