Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard Boiler age

Beerman
Beerman Member Posts: 3
Hi Folks, I also have an older Amer. Stnd. Boiler Model G320. My home is 65 yrs old, and I believe this is the original Boiler! I am a gasfitter, so have a decent idea of maintenance on the old girl. It's an atmospheric, gas fired Boiler. Any source for a service manual on something this age? Any service pointers would be appreciated. Thanks, John.

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited November 2021
    If it was built and designed as a gas boiler that looks something like this then there is not a lot of maintenance to do on it.

It probably had a 3 piece circulator pump like the B&G 100 ot TACO 110. If that old pump is still there it needs lubrication. Only a few drops on the 2 motor oil ports every year, the port on the actual bearing gets about a tablespoon or more each year.

If the pump has been replaced with a wet rotor pump, (smaller one piece pump) then that is water lubricated by the system.

The burners can be removed and vacuum cleaned but probably are fine until next summer. Look at the flame to see that all the flames from all the burner openings are blue. Small yellow tips are OK but, if the flame is mostly yellow, you need to have someone check it with a combustion analyser.

Check the chimney base to be sure it is clear and use a cigarette to see if smoke travels up the draft hood (if you don't smoke, then just light a match and blow it out and place it near the draft hood to see if the air is moving up the vent.

Other than that... atmospheric burners are pretty much stupid proof.

Can you post a picture of your antique beauty? We here on HH love old boiler pictures.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MikeAmann
  • Beerman
    Thanks for the tips, I do oil the Circ. pump at the start of each heating season. Replaced the pump guts once, motor is still going strong. I have a new Viessman sitting beside it, but haven't had the heart to retire the old girl yet! She just fires and purrs along. I do use a conditioner/oxygen eliminator in the water.
    Here's a Pic for you guys.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Are the end switches on the zone valves (red wires) line voltage? Looks like 120v powers the 24v transformer and that goes directly to the gas valve. 
    Is there a fan on the combustion air pipe? If not it could just as easily pull air out.
  • Beerman
    Hello; The gas valve is 24V, as to the Zone Valves, there is a Honeywell "Brain box" in the floor joist above the Boiler (not visible),I have never had it apart! The valves still work perfectly. Just an excellent Boiler all round, considering it's age. I read an earlier post that these "old girls" can still give around a 78% efficiency, that's decent, considering no forced combustion and electronic ign.etc. The combustion pipe is natural draft, but it only draws air when the burner is on. No spillage or cold floor. A Pic of the old girl on Hi Fire.