Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

risers pipe banging noise

charlesmag
charlesmag Member Posts: 1
edited November 2021 in Radiant Heating
Hi all,

I have recently moved into an 100-year-old NYC building (9th floor out of 10). I have a one-pipe radiator in my bedroom. The radiator is connected to a riser pipe (inside the wall). Whenever the pipe warms up, the pipe makes a loud banging sound/water hammer that is guaranteed to awake me every single night during the past month. Even if I shut down my radiator, the noise still exists.

I have talked to the building manager, and they have (a) changed my air valve and (b) hired a pipe engineer to examine the boiler, condensate, valve, other units in my building etc. In the end I was told that "everything looks fine" after their one-month-long investigation.

The building manager said if the situation persisted (it is), they would open the walls, but I have no idea what they could do there. Is there anything else I could ask the manager to consider?

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    that rad valve should be all the way open,
    or possibly, all the way closed, but closed could still leak by, and cause hammering,
    and then,
    if the valve IS all the way open, its disc could have disconnected and also be causing hammering,
    see if they'll open the valve and check,
    Or, it's in the wall
    known to beat dead horses
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    and this applies to the rad above you, and all those below,
    sounds travel
    known to beat dead horses
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The usual first thing is to raise the entire radiator, both ends....with the vent end higher than the valve end.

But the supply looks like it comes out of the wall with a 45 degree elbow that looks pretty fixed in place.

There might be a riser pipe in the wall box where the pipe comes out.

It may come from the basement.

I would check the valve first.
    That should be a gate valve, not a globe valve.

Could we get a better picture of the valve? Straight on shot.