Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Challenger Blower Assembly Buzz

Options
Hello all, I've had a Challenger Combi Boiler & DHW heater in my house for about 7.5 years now. The blower motor decided to crap out (voltages to the unit were correct) so I picked up another blower assembly and installed. Unit fired up first time and works great except for one thing. At low RPM's the blower is as quiet as the proverbial church mouse but once the unit gets to a certain speed and beyond it makes a buzzing sound. The sound can be eliminated by applying a bit of pressure to the board. I pulled the plastic cover off thinking it might be the cause but there was no change. I did swap over the venturi and checked torques on the nuts. Called up the parts supplier and he told me to call Triangle Tube Tech. Spoke to the tech and he said he is 99% sure the combustion chamber needs a cleaning. I told him I could send him a video of the noise but he wasn't interested in seeing it. He insisted it is a dirty combustion chamber. I'm an auto and packaging machine mechanic and will call a pro to clean the unit (I'm not messing with a gas appliance other than changing something simple). Do you think the Triangle Tube Tech is correct? I can post some videos on u tube if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If its never been pulled apart it is overdue. How loud?

• greencosworth
    greencosworth Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Agreed it is overdue... it gets fairly loud when the heat cranks up. Currently not using the heat, have wood stove.
  • ednelson7373
    ednelson7373 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    my name is Ed I am with Triangle Tube tech support if you would like to send me the video I would be happy to take a look and listen send to Techsupport@triangletube.com include the reason for the video and contact info
    hopefully we can help you solve the issue
    thank you
    Ed
    kcopp
  • greencosworth
    Options
    Hi Ed, thanks for the post. I'll send a couple of videos of the buzz to your e-mail address within the next couple of days. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
  • greencosworth
    Options
    As it turns out, the blower wheel was not in balance. A big thank you to Ed Nelson, Triangle Tube tech support, for taking time to look at the video and determining the problem. Replacement blower installed, the unit works perfectly. I posted a link to the video below in case anyone else has this problem.
    Thanks again, Ed

https://youtu.be/_2MV68iNU18
    kcopp