Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What are "cast iron style" steel radiators? Also AF Supply? Burnham slenderized?

eclecticmn
eclecticmn Member Posts: 121
I was browsing.
AF Supply is cheaper but out of stock. Cast iron.
Burnham slenderized is cast iron. More expensive.
Looking for 19 inch under window unit 5 feet or less. Around maybe 6,000 BTU maybe.
Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    hot water or steam
  • eclecticmn
    Hot water.
    Home owner near Minneapolis with cast iron radiators, one non working slant fin now ripped out, and hot water heat.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,092
    You could probably find something at a salvage yard
    bucksnort
  • eclecticmn
    edited November 2021
    Thanks. Hmm. I did not think of salvage yards. I have been looking on craigslist and a local place (Bauers) that has lots of used ones. I found one that was a 4 tube under window one over 5 feet long. Too heavy for most to move. Therefore too heavy for me to ever get rid of. It was free but cost a fortune to move.

So what is the difference between the choices I originally posted about? I realize this is a complicated area now.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,296
    edited November 2021
    I’d get a good one from Craig’s list or your give away site.  Much cheaper than buying one and two strong guys with a cart or straps can move a radiators
     where you need it. 

• eclecticmn
    I am keeping an eye on craigslist. I found one that was free. 13 in wide, 19 in high, 5 1/3 feet long. I hired two movers. They gave up at the pickup site. Too heavy. The owner cannot give it away. He is replacing with a Burnham Baseray. I will try for a smaller cast iron. Live and learn. One place has them for $10 per section. Another wants at least $30 per section.
    I found a site that explains the BTU calc for cast iron radiators, both column and tube. ???
    https://www.expressradiant.ca/pdfs/product_classic_sizing_how_to.pdf
    I found another site that does BTU requirement calculations.
    https://www.afsupply.com/btu-calculator
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Steel CI style is a pressed steel panel radiator that looks like a cast iron rad but is a lighter version made of sheet steel.
    It is lighter and does not have the same heating properties as cast.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 888
    Alwayus save and use working, cast iron radiators. Do not scrap them!