Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica Hydronic Boiler Installed too low to Change the Gas Valve

Options
allthumbs
allthumbs Member Posts: 10
I've invested time and money refreshing all the accessories on my 37 year old boiler: Pressure feed valve, zone valves, drain valves, air separator, and circulator. The one item I can't replace is the gas valve. The HVAC contractor placed the boiler directly on the basement floor, instead of raising it up on bricks or other masonry supports. The gas valve body is too high to unscrew it 360 degrees without the solenoids hitting the floor. If I hire the right plumber/HVAC guy, can he figure out a way to change the valve without having to disconnect the boiler from all the piping and jacking it up? I was thinking the solenoids on the old valve could be cut off with a sawsall, that would permit the old valve to be removed. The new valve would need to have "low profile" solenoids. Are there "low profile" valves, or am I looking at a major boiler disconnection?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,705
    Options
    Pictures would help. Normally you can just disconnect the inlet pipe and pull the valve and manifold out together then unscrew it from the manifold. If you replace the valve you will need to have a good tech with combustion analysis equipment set it up.
    EdTheHeaterManallthumbs
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,922
    Options
    ^ WHAT HE SAID ^

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @allthumbs

Instead of cutting I am sure your technician can remove the burner manifold and burners if necessary to replace the valve. There is always a way.

But why do you want to replace it if it's working?
    allthumbs
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,922
    Options
    If the part is in need of replacing, is it possible to remove some of the floor? A hand sledge and long cold chisel will remove basement floor material immediately below the gas valve. If the boiler can't go up... make the floor go down.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

PC7060
  • allthumbs
    allthumbs Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you mattmia2 and EBEBRATT-Ed, I took a look and now I see that the entire manifold can be removed. Thankfully, the manifold is a straight run with no bends. I might have tried to change out the valve if it could have been unscrewed from the manifold ( that's the way the youtube guys do it). I'll get a trained tech to do the job when the valve's time is up. BTW, how much longer can I expect a 37 year old White Rodgers gas valve to last?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    @allthumbs

Until the boiler needs replacement. Who knows? I replaced my boiler it was at least 45 years old and the same valve still worked
    allthumbs