Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old furnace, new parts

Options
heddah
heddah Member Posts: 1
Hello,
i have an old Smith oil burner, 25 years old. I ran out of oil, got oil, went to bleed the system and no oil was getting to the gun, or the nozzle fixture. I replaced a lot of parts: the pump, the nozzle, the electrodes, the ignition box, the cad cell, and put in a new line and filter. The furnace sat for 2 weeks before i was able to get it to fire, after trouble shooting all of these issues. When it did fire, there was a loud rumble and black smoke coming from the fire box, so i shut it down, not wanting to cause a possible fire. 
Question is: was that a normal start up after sitting for so long and not running? Should i have let it run and see if the rumble dissipated? 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The chamber could have been loaded with oil . It may have been a ignition problem all along ..
    I seen this many times before with home owners . It cost so much to guess . It is always better to call in an oil tech from the start . Now you should call one in to set up the burner . If the adjustments are off the unit could soot up on you or cause more issues ..

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    HVACNUTjimna01