Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ID an old dinosaur

doddy
doddy Member Posts: 7
edited November 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Anyone know what this old shop heater is? I think it hasnt been used in 20 years. Dont know if we should try to get it serviced, or just replace it. In northern california where labor rates are quite high. Thanks!

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,368
    Is that gas, hot water, or steam? I first thought it was hot water, but the more I look, the more I think it might just be hanging from the piping and have a gas vent in the back.

Hot water or steam there really isn't much to go wrong that isn't just maintenance, a motor, aquastat, maybe a vale or a steam trap.
  • doddy
    mattmia2 said:

Is that gas, hot water, or steam? I first thought it was hot water, but the more I look, the more I think it might just be hanging from the piping and have a gas vent in the back.

Hot water or steam there really isn't much to go wrong that isn't just maintenance, a motor, aquastat, maybe a vale or a steam trap.

yes, my first thought was the same. we looked at it again and realized it is just using the piping as structural support. it is natural gas
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,492
    Hi, It looks like an old Reznor heater. It is a pretty simple unit, so I'd clean it up, check the condition of the heat exchanger and do some troubleshooting to bring it back to life. Reznor has been around a long time.

Yours, Larry
  • doddy

Gasious-Saures-Rex from the PostiousWariumcambria Era (Well preserved dinosaur for its age.)

great suggestion, please have a look
  • mel57
    mel57 Member Posts: 9
    Usually the burners are serviced from the bottom. Looks like someone framed the wall right to the bottom of unit. I'm concerned about clearance to combustibles.  If it needs to be relocated, I would get a new one.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Gas unit heaters like that seem to be somewhat frequently the cause of fires, make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing look at it and test the safeties. If you can't find information about clearances, replace it with something where you do know the clearances to combustibles.
    HVACNUT
  • doddy
    mel57 said:

Usually the burners are serviced from the bottom. Looks like someone framed the wall right to the bottom of unit. I'm concerned about clearance to combustibles.  If it needs to be relocated, I would get a new one.

yes, a shelf was put in over the years sometime. i will have the carpenter remove the shelf under it before we try it again
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 963
    If you are going to fix this Janitrol unit heater make sure that you have an experienced HVAC company that knows or has experience with those heaters. That unit most likely has cast iron heat exchangers which usually last a lifetime or two. A big problem with them was that the steel firebox would crack allowing "products of combustion" into the air stream making them very unsafe. They usually used standard off the shelf controls. If I were you I would throw that unit away and opt for a new, safer, unit and probably one that has a sealed heat exchanger that utilizes both outside combustion air and outside exhaust similar to the 90+ % furnaces of today.
  • doddy

If you are going to fix this Janitrol unit heater make sure that you have an experienced HVAC company that knows or has experience with those heaters. That unit most likely has cast iron heat exchangers which usually last a lifetime or two. A big problem with them was that the steel firebox would crack allowing "products of combustion" into the air stream making them very unsafe. They usually used standard off the shelf controls. If I were you I would throw that unit away and opt for a new, safer, unit and probably one that has a sealed heat exchanger that utilizes both outside combustion air and outside exhaust similar to the 90+ % furnaces of today.

the electrician working on the project had the same feedback (without your detailed firebox info). he said he felt it was better just to buy a new one.

how much are similar heaters today? i think we probably need to heat an un-insulated area of about 1000sf with lots of air leaks, open front door, etc. Temperature outside is normally above freezing, probably in the 40-50 range daytime at the lowest (this is northern california)
  • This is just an example. You would have to do a heat loss calculation on the space to determine the proper size.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Standard-Profile-Unit-Heater-55FG84
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • mattmia2
    I'd be a little curious how you do the math for the garage doors opening and closing, that really is a lot more complicated than this much heat flows from inside to outside through the walls and roof and floor and involves behavior.
  • doddy
    mattmia2 said:

I'd be a little curious how you do the math for the garage doors opening and closing, that really is a lot more complicated than this much heat flows from inside to outside through the walls and roof and floor and involves behavior.

Not garage doors, just a front door for humans. But yes, will be a bit of loss due to lack of insulation. This heater is above the front desk and where they talk on the phone. I would like some type of suspended heater that doesnt make much noise, i guess a low fan speed if workable. Any ideas?
  • doddy

can cracking of the firebox be easily identified and if this can be ruled out, it might be more logical to just keep using it correct?
  • mattmia2
    edited November 2021
    Unit heaters aren't known for being quiet. Overhead radiant heaters might be more suitable for your wanting it quiet and mild climate but you need to be very careful about clearances with them.

The amount of insulation or lack thereof is part of the heat loss calculation.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 963
    edited November 2021
    Look up "CO RAY VAC" or a similar product to see if this type of system would met your needs.