Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clicking noise?

Options
On my steam radiator I have Macon thermostatic operator installed. At about every 4 minutes (likely when the boiler is cycling) there is a clicking noise - not a banging or knocking of the full radiator but just like a faint but still noticeable two click-click on/off noise - almost like a timer turning on and off but since there is nothing electric can’t seem to figure it out. Is this a valve issue? No one can seem to solve it so was looking to all of you to potentially brainstorm!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    I’m assuming this is a 1 pipe steam system, if so what brand vent is screwed into the Macon TRV?  If your not sure post some pictures of the device and we may be able to tell.

Some vents click, some don’t, volume usually depends on how high system pressure is.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    The clicking noise you hear is coming from the 1/4" check valve that is installed before the t assembly.

Jake
  • LostInNYC
    LostInNYC Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks! So Can the valve be swapped for one that doesn’t click? Any recommendations?
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Looking at the thermostatic operator dose not tell me much. Can you get a picture of the valve inside the cabinet.
    KC_Jones
  • LostInNYC
    Options
    Any ideas for a valve that will not make the light clicking noise? 
  • LostInNYC
    Options
    Any clever ideas? It’s definitely not a pressure differential issue or banging or knocking. The noise is more a light click on/off. Like an old school thermostat engaging and disengaging. 
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    2 pipe system by the looks of it, so my original thought is out the window.

I would guess it's just the valve operating open and closed due to room temperature changes. If that's the case then that's how it works and the only option is eliminate the TRV entirely. That may lead to overheating.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • LostInNYC
    Options
    Is there a valve that wouldn’t make this noise?
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I'm not that familiar with options for a 2 pipe. As said, if you eliminate the TRV and replace with a standard valve nothing moves, so nothing clicks. If I was guessing that "fix" would possibly overheat the room you are in. I can't say if another TRV will be any quieter, we don't see much 2 pipe steam TRV on this site.

Is this an apartment or condo building?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    what if you wrap an old towel around that valve where you hear the noise,
    just to dampen it
    known to beat dead horses