Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FHA blows

Options
JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
edited November 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Took the camper for one last camping trip before winterizing it. It has a ducted propane furnace. I guess you could compare this to FHA in a house that uses LP. It works great at least for FHA. Drops below set point heat comes on, runs until it gets above set point and shuts off. Only problem is you can kind of feel a chill after its shut down for a bit but you absolutely bake when its running. The convection oven is keeping me awake. 

I'm spoiled by my houses radiant heat. Constant steady 72f. And this camper is probably better insulated than my 94 year old house...

I'll let you all know when that little red indicator pops up out of this turkeys butt.

That is all.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    It sucks and it blows....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    Hot air heat is like anything else if it's done right it can be ok.
    mattmia2
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    If you can: Try setting up the fan to run a bit longer after the burner shuts down. This will help keep the circulation of warm air to flow longer.

Jake
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,678
    Options
    Sounds like it is horribly oversized.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    It's an rv so... I'm not expecting much. 
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    When we go camping and end up at a park with electric.....I save my propane and use an an oil filled electric radiator. 

Otherwise, the extremely low mass LP hot air furnace blows its air at our feet. 

Hot air can be done right with properly sized ductwork, returns in every room etc. But it rarely is ever done right....then it would cost as much as a hot water system.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    JakeCKCanucker
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I think most people hate it because they have substandard installs. Plenums without insulation make it noisier. Worst of all is over sizing. My house, brick Victorian, 3600 sqft full basement 40+ Windows and I only need about 100k BTU (200k boiler runs about 60% of the time) on the coldest days.

Yet i go to a house yesterday and someone put in a 120k Rheem and 4 ton AC in a 1800sqft 1997 construction home. One of the worst oversizing I’ve seen. Fortunately it has plenty of ductwork.