Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help Needed With Retrofit Boiler System Design

netkick
netkick Member Posts: 9
edited November 2021 in Gas Heating
I just had an aging boiler replaced with a Viessmann Vitodens 200W boiler and indirect DHW tank.

Since having the new boiler installed, we are having problems with getting the bedroom baseboards to heat. I'm looking to get educated and welcome any inputs about how this system should be further modified to work correctly with the new boiler setup.

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,212
    Did you forget a circulator for the "master", "pink", and "purple" or is there noting to cause water to flow through them?
  • netkick
    edited November 2021
    The diagram is accurate, there are no circ pumps for either the master or the kids bedrooms...  This is how the "old" install was, but the plumber did not install any new pumps in those areas when the new boiler was installed.  There was no LLH with the old boiler, so maybe in that case the main circ pump was adequate, but now with the low loss header it's a problem?
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,281
    edited November 2021
    I think you are on the right track with the new hydraulic separator you will need a circulator on each branch. 
  • netkick
    Does the location of the circulators on the master bedroom and kids room branches matter?  The existing piping and zone valves for those branches is far (100ft on the other side of the basement and in an upstairs closet) so getting the circulators in an "ideal" location may be difficult.  Thanks!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,998
    Pipe in the circulators where the blue dots are. But they must be wired in a way where the circulators get power only after the zone valve is open. Do the zone valves have end switches?
  • netkick
    Yes the existing Taco zone valves have end switches.  The contractor has mentioned a couple times that we should replace them since they are "old" but I'm not convinced it's absolutely necessary.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    Yes, I agree with the above as @mattmia2 & @PC7060 said your missing a pump
  • netkick
    edited November 2021
    Is there any reason the new circulator pumps need to be physically "close" to the boiler or could they be installed at the other side of the basement and up in the kids bedroom close to where the current zone valves are located? I'm looking to not reinvent all of the piping if not necessary.

Thanks for all of the inputs and confirmation that I was on the right track here.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    The pump should go in the vicinity of the boiler for wiring purposes