Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for I/O Manual for Smith BB-14

Looking for a manual or at least recommended piping layout for a Smith BB-14 steam boiler. Smith archives are no help.
Thanks very much,
Dennis
Dennis

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    That boiler dates to the 70s, I threw all my old Smith stuff out. What do you need to know? It's a standard wet base boiler...the manual won't help much
  • dennis53
    dennis53 Member Posts: 58
    Looking mostly for tapping sizes/locations for a total repipe of near boiler piping. This one is definitely wall of shame material. No leaks though.
    Dennis
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    I am vaguely familiar with a Smith of that vintage.
    (It too belongs on the wall of shame.)

Do you have some pictures?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Actually the BB-14s were good boilers. I will look through my stuff but think I tossed it. I had a big Smith catalog I made up had boiler in it from back in the 30s & 40s got water damaged and moldy :'(:'( I used to have the supply houses around here calling me to get the ratings.

Call Mestek 1-413-562-9631 they must have it they made that boiler for about 25 years stopped around 2000
  • dennis53
    Thank you for the comments.
    Sorry, no pictures but low, colliding header, undersized boiler risers, 3 mains pulled down out of slope to hook to risers, 1/2" equalizer coming off middle of header, all in copper. No swing joints, no Hartford loop, no skim port.
    Thanks for the Mestek contact, I will give them a call.
    Dennis
    Dennis
  • AJCimino
    AJCimino Member Posts: 29
    Hello Dennis,
    Hope this helps. HB Smith was another great company that's no longer around. Became Smith and now I'm not sure what it is or what their offerings are.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @AJCimino

That's a keeper. I hope the op swings buy and sees it.

I guess Smith has been making their castings in the same factory Peerless uses for some time. Some of the Smith boilers are now also sold with the Peerless name on them.

I don't know what the official arrangement is

Maybe @Erin Holohan Haskell can save this?
  • dennis53
    Thank you so much AJ, that is exactly what I am looking for.
    Dennis
    Dennis
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,347

Maybe @Erin Holohan Haskell can save this?

I sure can. I'll put it in our Heating Museum. Thanks for sharing it, @AJCimino.

President
    HeatingHelp.com