Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing cartridge in an Alpha 2

Options
dave123
dave123 Member Posts: 67
I've got an Alpha 2 circ 15-55 that needs it's cartridge replaced. I rec'd the new one, and there are instructions from grundfos in the box, but they don't seem to address the alpha catridge. All the other circs have an open space on the back, to tap out the old cartridge, but that area in the alpha is covered by the electronics and touch controls. I've tried prying gently at the rear covers, but haven't gotten them to open, and don't want to damage the controls. I've searched all over trying to find a description of what to do, but haven't found one. Anyone here had experience with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    edited November 2021
    Options
    You may not want to use your favorite pocket knife... it should pop out easily.
    Did it seize up? What type of boiler and piping. I'd like to see deeper inside where the rotor goes into the can. that is a bit tougher to separate.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    PC7060
  • VancouverG
    VancouverG Member Posts: 33
    Options
    I have been thinking about getting this exact pump to replace my Taco 007 in my radiant heat multi zone valve system. How long have you had it and it needed to replace the cartridge ?
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,539
    Options

I have been thinking about getting this exact pump to replace my Taco 007 in my radiant heat multi zone valve system. How long have you had it and it needed to replace the cartridge ?

Great pump...However,The life of any circulating pump depends on how it they are being treated!
    1. System fluid: Since these are wet rotor circs they do not like suspended Ferrous materials.
    2. Power conditions: Like anything with a chip they do not like Power surges, Spikes .
    3. Mounting positions.
    Probably some other things that i am forgetting.

Word of caution! If you currently have a PBV you need to isolate or remove it..
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    The rotor is magnetic and doesn't come out easily from the can.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    I have a stiff putty knife with a bevel ground on it that I use in the way @hot_rod is using that knife.
    HomerJSmithGGross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    It's all about the fluid quality, that is the biggest variable in circ life. With ECM and auto adapt at least you don't run them way off curve.

The Alpha really isn't a replaceable cartridge design.

The Alpha 15-55 are being replaced with the 15-58E
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream