Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

S8600m Ignition control

helpme
helpme Member Posts: 1
Ignition control s8600m. Have a Sterling hanging heater 300,000 BTU having problems with power out of the main valve port have 24 volts going in. 24 volts  gone out PV number three. Have no volts on number one which is mv.  Change box out about three times no changes. So I went to another hater remove the box from it put it on the heater I’m working on no change. But when I put the box on the other heater it works fine what’s going on help please. Hope you can understand this. Lol

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Does the pilot light?

You need to measure between PV and PV/MV and not to ground if that is what you were doing.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    The pilot has to light and the flame sensor and control have to prove that the pilot is on before the main valve will get power
  • If you've got 24 volts between PV and PV/MV, you should have gas coming out of the pilot and you should hear it sparking. If no gas, you may have a bad gas valve. If no sparking, that's a bad S8600.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If you are unaware of what Ed and Alan said, perhaps this is over you head and you should call a pro.

With 2 X 300,000 units this sounds like a commercial installation.

It would be quite easy to energize the main valve, with no pilot burning, with the procedures you are trying.

This has happened in the past with fatal consequences.