Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Water Cutoff for thermopile via Ascot valve

HydroNiCK
HydroNiCK Member Posts: 184
I want to add a lwc to my thermopile powered 1964 Utica boiler.  Instead of switching to 24v ignition i want to use a 24v solenoid valve before the thermopile valve then hook up a easier to come by lwc to control the solenoid.  Do any of you know the best Ascot or similar valve to use?

Thanks,
Nick

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,260
    You could just control a relay rated for millivolt switching with the lwco and put it in series with the safety chain on the millivolt valve.
    HydroNiCK
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,015
    You can just switch the millivolt like the other safety's do. Some low water cutoffs can switch millivolt the M?M #67 can with the right switch or use a relay as @mattmia2 suggested

hot water or steam?
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 184
    You can just switch the millivolt like the other safety's do. Some low water cutoffs can switch millivolt the M?M #67 can with the right switch or use a relay as @mattmia2 suggested hot water or steam?
    Hot water.  The MM67 is like the only one available.  There may be others but like I said not readily available/ have to search.  That is a good idea.  But id have to find a switch and buy a relay.  I thought the solenoid would be easier and I could get a lwc that looks "cool".  The only prob with the solenoid is id have to relight the pilot after every test unless i put it between the gas valve and pilot?

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,260
    edited November 2021
    There are lots of problems with the baso type valve. The relay is dead simple, either control it through 24vac if you have it or add a control transformer or use a relay with a 120v coil and control it with a lwco with 120v contacts.

The relay will be much less expensive than the gas valve as well.
    HydroNiCK