Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Leaking

Options
nz
nz Member Posts: 125
edited October 2021 in Radiant Heating
Hello, I recently sold my house with steam and purchased a new house with hot water heat. So I went from a fairly steam-educated handy homeowner to total noob.  I just purchased Dan's book on hydronic heating but it hasn't arrived yet.

Anyways, in the process of ripping up carpet I discovered a leaking baseboard... Very slow... Like a drip every 10 minutes. However, since I'm a noob I don't know exactly what I'm looking at nor the correct terminology.  I'm guessing the valve above the cup is an air bleeding valve?  Not sure if I can just tighten it down, pull it out and clean it and put it back with pipe dope, or if it should be replaced, etc. Also not sure how to shut off the baseboard since the shutoff valve seems to be removed.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, at the old house I serviced all the traps and replaced all the steam valves with Danfoss TRVs. I just need some guidance here on what I'm looking at and what the next step should be.

Thank you!

Nick

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It’s in a tough spot.
    Easiest would be to drain the system (or isolate that zone if possible), unscrew the bleeder valve, and repair it. Might be as simple as rings/gaskets/washers, and put it back together with some dope/Teflon tape. You may be able to put some tape on the bleeder threads themselves.
    Looks like you have a shut off. If there’s one on the other side it may make it easier, but most likely, they may start dripping too.
    The valve looks like you close it by turning the screw 90 degrees. But again it may be frozen and you break it or you can’t open it back up

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,577
    Options
    If that is a threaded bleeder installed in a tee remove it and put a new bleeder in. Is that a threaded bushing under the bleeder??