Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3/8" radiator vents?

Options
2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

Interesting discussion

If I am not mistaken they used to have vacuum air vents for one pipe steam which in my understanding could only be used for coal (continuous) firing, and that they had to be removed when firing gas or oil and standard air vents which will break a vacuum had to be installed

I don't entirely believe those stories either, but in that case I believe it was due to balancing issues, not condensate.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Interesting discussion

If I am not mistaken they used to have vacuum air vents for one pipe steam which in my understanding could only be used for coal (continuous) firing, and that they had to be removed when firing gas or oil and standard air vents which will break a vacuum had to be installed

I don't entirely believe those stories either, but in that case I believe it was due to balancing issues, not condensate.
    Cost too. You can look at Hoffman main vents, the Vacuum version is $150.00, the non vacuum is $90.00. That's a 66% price increase, if that was the case for all the radiator vents it starts adding up pretty quick.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Since the honeywell vent body closes the air vent off completely when it hits the set point it does not let the vent to allow air in so a vacuum is created as the steam condenses. A vacuum sucks everything it can back into the space, IE a Ball Jar forms a sealed dimple when you make jam. The Honeywell TRV body creates the same effect, from my experience once the ambient temp drops the vacuum is broken you can actually hear the water drain out of the radiator. The first time I heard it I thought I had a burst pipe in a wall with no water pipes because you literally hear a flush of water similar to a toilet flushing.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    @ChrisJ if I remember correctly you run a complex vacuum system with pumps that works great for you. You are trying to compare this simple system to how your system operates. You cant make a Chevy work like a Mercedes, two different worlds.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options
    @ChrisJ if I remember correctly you run a complex vacuum system with pumps that works great for you. You are trying to compare this simple system to how your system operates. You cant make a Chevy work like a Mercedes, two different worlds.
    I run a simple single pipe system.
    No pumps.
    No vacuum vents, just Gorton's.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment