Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can I use a heavy duty rubber coupling on a wet return 1 1/2

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
Can I use a heavy duty rubber coupling on a wet return 1 1/2. I want to add a cleanout

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Quick google search shows 140 max temp, and that only sporadically for Fernco coupling. What exactly do you mean by heavy duty? Do you have a particular one in mind?
  • acl10
    Options
    Everflow fleible coupler. Can I use it on a wet return to add a cleanout
  • acl10
    Options
    The metal coupler also has rubber to keep it from leaking can you use that on a return
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Can't find info on their website, but does not look very different from a fernco. I don't know that I would trust it beyond a temporary weekend repair personally.....
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Is this a temporary or permanent solution to your issue? If permanent why not just do it with pipe like it's supposed to be? I don't think I'd ever do any rubber on the piping that was permanent.

Since the temps in the return could be relatively high, the only rubber product I would be comfortable with in that application would be marine exhaust hose. I believe most of it is rated to 250, and it's meant to handle engine exhaust and hot water. The only way I'd do it is if I had some kind of mid winter failure and was using it to limp through to warmer weather.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Only for a temporary repair
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    You might get longer service from this coupler with a better grade rubber elastomer seals.

Max temperature for Buna N is 220*F, EPR, (Ethylene Propylene Rubber) is good for 300*F. and is also resistant to Amine based water treatment chemicals. Viton is good for 400*F.

Buna and Viton are not recommended for use with Amine based water treatment chemicals, although I am sure this is true beyond a certain concentration, Unfortunately, I do not what that concentration might be.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.