Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Bleed Slant Fin Baseboard Heating

STvex
STvex Member Posts: 71
Hi,

I have hot water heating, Weil McClain boiler and slant fin baseboard heaters. I have three zones, basement, 1st and 2nd floor. My first floor heating works and I can feel heat coming from the baseboards after about 20 minutes of boiler firing. My second floor and basement don't seem to get warm. I am assuming it needs to bleed out the air that may be in there. I tried to bleed the second floor and basement for 20 minutes and got the second floor to be light warm after 30 minutes of thermostat sending a signal but basement is still cold. I did the following steps below, I am I missing something?

1) Shut off return value to boiler
2) manually (left in manual open mode) opened second floor and basement zone valve
3) Attach garden hose to boiler drain valve above circulator
4) Opened fill valve about 1/3 to let water in
5) Let water discharge for about 20 minutes
6) Then closed boiler drain valve, open return to boiler, switch zone valve to auto, put fill valve to auto

The circulator vibrates when on but its very quiet. I attached three pics. Advice is appreciated.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    At the blue dots, you need to close the ball valve, and purge from the drain valve. Do one zone at a time. 
    STEVEusaPA
  • STvex
    STvex Member Posts: 71
    HVACNUT said:

At the blue dots, you need to close the ball valve, and purge from the drain valve. Do one zone at a time. 

Do you mean close the ball valve on the bottom blue dot and open the drain valve on the top blue dot? One zone at a time, meaning manually open the zone valve and open the fill valve?

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @STvex

Yes I agree with @HVACNUT . Before you do that close all the zone valves, put a hose on the blue drain valve open the blue drain valve and the return ball valve to bleed the return riser backwards coming out of the boiler. Then shut that off and do the zones one at a time as @HVACNUT said