Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about timer on In-Floor Radiant Heat

Options
Hello! I recently moved into a 2-year old condo with Radiant Floor Heating (water). I have an Uponor manifold which I understand how this works. I also have a 24-hour timer on the wall which can cycle the on-demand hot water tank which acts as a boiler and hot water supply at my taps. The timer was turned off when I arrived and so I do not know whether this timer plays a role or not in the heating, what it is used for, what it should be set at, or what impact not having it set to Auto makes on the system. I'd appreciate input as to what this is for. Thank you.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Confused. Do you have a boiler for heat and a separate hot water heater (2 appliances) or are we talking about 1 appliance?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Hard to say without seeing it and how its wired.
    The radiant shouldn't be on a timer or setback thermostat.
    Is there a hot water recirculating line? Could be that.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    edited October 2021
    Options
    If it is, in fact, a WH which operates both radiant and DHW as an open system, the timer is likely there to cycle some water through the radiant every so often to avoid stagnation which can cause legionella. Open systems are awful, but the timer alleviates a lot of the issues that come with them- when it is being used
    paularbear
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options
    is it for a dhw recirculation pump?
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    with a combination system like yours (DHW and space heating), the timer is designed to move the water at least once a day especially when there is no call for heat in the summer. If in Canada, it is a code requirement to turn the circulators every 24 hours areas; in the states I am not sure if there are any area that require it . In SR -EXP controllers, this switching on can be changed between 2 minutes every two weeks or 4 minutes every 24 hours.
    Dave H
    paularbear