Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weird cast iron failure

Options
Had a wall stain on the basement of my MIL's building. Opened up the wall and the 2" cast stack had a vertical (longitudinal) split on one section Hub to the next section's hub. It's not like it was rotted, a lot of metal there, it's like the seam split like opening a zipper. Went in in 1912.

No room to put in new hub cast without opening up a lot of wall in the apartment above, so I'm gonna use either no hub or plastic with slip compression (Fasco) fittings.

Anyone else see a seam split like this? It's a new one for me.
Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    It can happen. We had a gas leak on steel pipe job once and went crazy trying to find the leak.

Turns out is was a bad piece of brand new pipe, China the seam was not welded properly
    kcoppdelcrossv
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Was installed in 1912?  I think that we can cut the manufacturer some slack. I have seen vertical splits. Not that uncommon. 
    delcrossvkcopp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    We had a leak in the ceiling at work that was a 2" or 3" ci hubless pipe from about 1980 that split down the side at the 30 year mark or so.
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    Options
    The offending stack section:

Easy fix with slip connectors and a 4' length of 2" service weight CI.

Just a little drywall , mud and paint left to do.

Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,670
    Options
    You could have used pvc as well unless there is some code issue that prohibits pvc in that particular structure
    delcrossv
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 742
    edited October 2021
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

You could have used pvc as well unless there is some code issue that prohibits pvc in that particular structure

Possibly, but I know cast is code here (Chicago) and I'd have to check for plastic. Also I want to make sure the next person to replace it ISN'T me. ;)
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Splitting of the cast iron occurred on all 4” lines servicing bathtubs in my 1928 home.  I’ve surmised it was due to the repeated hearing cooling cycles.  Funny thing is cracks all occurred on top of pipes. 

I’ve replaced al CI in the house with exception of a vertical line that services a toilets. Scoped the pipe a few years ago during renovations and it looked good.  Maybe because only servicing cold water.  That same line had 1/2” wide crack 6’ long on horizontal in basement after the 2” CI servicing the tub was connected.