Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: Troubleshooting In An Antique Building

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited October 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

Troubleshooting In An Antique Building

In this episode, Dan Holohan walks us through a troubleshooting job at Fraunces Tavern, which was built in 1719 and is the oldest structure in NYC.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thanks to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    I brought my grand children to to the tavern several times but never in a heating season.
    What impressed them the most was the displays of uniforms on the stair cases up to the top floor where the major part of the museum was located.

The one thing that I wondered about was humidity control that is needed to protect all fabric items on display. Also when I walked through I could not get this point about heating with steam though my head. The building configuration had me puzzeled on hoe the pipe work was installed.

Tried to do a tour of the heating system 4 times but could not permission to look at the system as the managers of the building said it could be a security problem because at the time people were setting of bombs and starting fires in protests to our government.

Fraunces Tavern is a great place to visit for anyone looking to tour New York when it is safe again.

Jake
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I sure got lucky with that one, Jake. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Dan, as a homeowner having had two really old (1685 oldest!) houses heated by steam, I do miss it!! Hot water baseboards work, but little mystery. Thanks for your many tours.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Wished you had photo's to go with the story. Would love to see all that mishmash of mechanicals.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks, guys. 
    Retired and loving it.