Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Numbers Should I Be Looking For?

I've been the caretaker a Burnham oil fired steam boiler at our church for about 10 years. I Service it in the fall, (change filters, clean and gap electrodes, check both low water cutoffs, check condensate pump, etc. Couple years ago I bought a combustion analyzer to use to keep my Triangle Tube propane tuned up, I was thinking about using my analyzer to check the steam boiler but I'm not sure what I should be looking as far as analyzer readings. Thanks for your suggestions

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2021
    Steady state, proper draft (which Burnham) especially over the fire. Then true zero smoke. Then see what the analyzer says and adjust your combustion air to put you in the best operation position.
    Make sure you set it for the right fuel first.
    Edit: switched gas to fuel.
    steve
    Robert O'Brien
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    No, set it for fuel oil #2

You would like to get the Co2 to the highest possible reading without making smoke. What you do is start the burner and make sure the boiler is hot and somewhat up in temperature.

Take a smoke reading and adjust the burner for 0-trace of smoke (so you can tell where you are). Then take a Co2 reading anything below 10 is not so hot, 12 1/2-13 is pushing it. Then open the air band and increase the air slightly until you C02 drops 1% or so.

That gives you a cushion so the boiler won't soot

Test the CO if your tester has that and the C0 should be as low as possible 50-100ppm is heading to the danger zone. Below 50is much better. A good burner can get down below 20 usually
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    What model boiler and burner?
    Commercial?
  • Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    Ill go tomorrow and get the info/numbers