Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Troubleshooting Intermittent Ignition s86610u

Hey guys I have a couple questions. The problem is that my igniter keep trying to light but it don't and the s86 control goes to a lockout. My question is why do it keep sparking and how do I know if I have a bad ground or not. I'm a new tech doing service.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited September 2021
    The S8610U ignition control module (ICM) will send 24 volts to the gas valve to turn on gas to the pilot. Check for 24 volts at “Common” and “PV”. If no voltage during a call, replace the ICM or check the wiring. If there is voltage, I would remove the 1/4” pilot tube from the gas valve and see if gas comes out during a call. If no gas, replace the gas valve. If yes gas, the pilot tube is clogged. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Dairon421
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    First,
    If the igniter is sparking and the pilot does not light then the ground isn't the problem....yet. You have to find out why the pilot is not getting gas and/or pilot burner not lighting. Plugged pilot burner or oarfice, kinked pilot tubing , wrong gas pressure, plugged heat exchanger (no draft) Pilot part of main gas valve bad or not getting power etc.

Once you get the pilot lit the ground or lack of ground will come into play if the main burner will not come on. You can run a ground jumper from the pilot burner back to the control or check the flame signal.

Some controls will shut off the spark and lockout some will retry for ignition

Dairon421
  • Dairon421
    Dairon421 Member Posts: 80
    Thanks, it was a bad gas valve