Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Experiences With Bosch Packaged Heat Pump IDP System

Options
I would appreciate hearing about experiences with the Bosch Packaged Heat Pump IDP System, especially the 1-3 ton size. I've seen postings on the split systems, but not much about the packaged units. (I'm the homeowner.)

Primarily interested in general experiences installing, living with and repairing the system. Do you have a sense of how operating costs compare to standard gas/electric or dual fuel packaged systems? How quiet is the system? (Our system is right outside our bedroom. Bosch publishes sound level data in a way that is not directly comparable to other brands. Still hoping to get a reference site to visit.)

Central North Carolina, 1,570 sq. ft., single story, encapsulated crawlspace with ducting. (Converted garage with 500 sq. ft. office has mini-split.) Ecobee 3 thermostat. Manual J: Peak Cooling - 21,136 BTU, Peak Heating - 22,427 BTU, Peak CFM - 922.

Dealer will strap the unit to maximum 23,000 BTU heat. Proposed configuration includes 5 kW heat kit, primarily for emergency heat if the compressor fails. Dealer is proposing having the heat kit come on at 5 degrees to augment, not replace, the heat pump. (For emergency heat I would have to change the crossover point on the thermostat.)

Thanks!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Not familiar with the equipment but most Bosch equipment is pretty good. They bought out Florida Heat Pump years ago that made pretty good stuff.

Sounds like the right equipment for your location. Make sure the contractor does an accurate heat/cooling load calculation.

In the northeast where I am I don't like HPs because the winters are too cold though some disagree (incoming flack) but in your climate they are the way to go.
    CaptainBlight
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Presumption: most heating guys here are hydronic heat and north east’ers. I do hvac and have installed Bosch IDS, but what you’re looking at is extremely rare in out New England parts of the world. 

It seems solid. Had a power outage knock out two boards on the outdoor units, very expensive. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    CaptainBlight
  • CaptainBlight
    CaptainBlight Member Posts: 2
    Options

Not familiar with the equipment but most Bosch equipment is pretty good. They bought out Florida Heat Pump years ago that made pretty good stuff.

Sounds like the right equipment for your location. Make sure the contractor does an accurate heat/cooling load calculation.

In the northeast where I am I don't like HPs because the winters are too cold though some disagree (incoming flack) but in your climate they are the way to go.

Two contractors ran Manual J reports, with comparable results.

FYI - One of the impressive things about the Bosch is that the heat pump continues operating to 5 degrees and below. (It uses a Mitsubishi inverter technology compressor, same as used in mini-splits.) At 970 CFM and 75/67 degrees the published specs show 27,500 BTU. At 75/5 degrees the specs show 17,300 BTU. This is why I mentioned that the heat kit would augment, not replace, the heat pump.

The published specs are impressive. The salesperson makes a good case for the unit, but his lips are moving. I'm hoping to hear some real-world experience with the Bosch packaged system.

Thanks.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Yes, a lot of the modern heat pumps are rated to run at 0 deg and below.

keep in mind that the colder the OD air the less efficiency you get. As the temp goes down they produce less heat. Anytime the OD air drops below 30 degrees the heat pump will have to shut down and defrost the OD coil by running the AC and the electric heat.

That's why I wouldn't put one up north. In NC that is fine