Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Control board with integrated fan relay

PC7060
PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
edited August 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Currently working on a issue with a Spacepak 2ton air handler that is having problem with a sticky fan control relay. Thinking it’s a simple fix until I pull the panel and note the relay is part in the main control board which is a $$$ priced item. 
What would it have cost them to put spade connectors in the board versus a solder on relay? $3-4 more for a standalone relay would improve maintenance and reduce complexity of main board. 
Reminds me of a friend of mine who  was buying new high dollar double oven because the control board failed on the 4 yo original oven and was now obsolete. 
Another example of low cost cost beating reliable in current market. 
Mini rant, feel free to move along.  :p

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    My brother remodeled his kitchen 10 years ago and bought all high end Maytag appliances. microwave, stove, refrigerator and dishwasher.

Every thing has failed except the refrigerator. Parts not available or too costly not worth fixing.

It's pretty scary what parts can cost.

To me simpler is better by the basic model without all the bells and whistles, You give up functions but less to go wrong
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Things branded maytag are sort of a weird crapshoot after whirlpool bought them. You might get a high end maytag or whirlpool design or you might get a bargain design that used to be sold as roper or magic chef.

How about just properly manufacturing electronics. Most of the failures are relays or terminals that didn't get heated properly when the board was wave soldered. It is usually an easy fix. Sometimes the relay size was marginal, usually you can find the same relay with the same coil and beefier contacts.
    PC7060