Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Install Watts OneFlow+

Options
numberforty1
numberforty1 Member Posts: 97
edited August 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I want to get a OneFlow+ for the hard water in my new house - they claim it's a quick easy installation, but they don't really explain how to install it in different scenarios. I'm not a plumber, but I do everything else to the house/car myself and I'd like to tackle this if it's really not difficult. If it's really a job for a pro though, so be it.

Here is my boiler room, the cold water inlet is on the left coming up through the floor. The water company still hasn't installed the meter, which I assume will go there, but it seems I would have to fit the OneFlow+ in there as well because that is the only cold water inlet section I have available before it runs right into the wall again (why does it go in the wall instead of to the boiler anyway?)

The OneFlow+ supposedly uses 1" pipe, I'm not too clear on plumbing metrics but you can see the diameter of the pipe here as well, it's about 1 1/8" in outer diameter - is that probably 1" in inner diameter, and so the same size?

Can anyone advise a way to make this a simple wrench job, or would I have to solder connections? Are there perhaps installation kits that would have everything necessary?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H273O4M/ref=ewc_pr_img_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Comments

• numberforty1
    Options
    anyone?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Dud you ever figure out where that lower pipe through the wall goes? You probably don't want to treat the water to the boiler. You would probably use some screw clamp type pex fittings that are male pipe thread adapter to the filter housing ad either screw the housing to the wall or support it with some pipe supports.

er looking at the product it looks like it had male pie thread so you need female adapters. some tees and els and valves so you can isolate it and bypass it to change the cartridge would be nice too.

is that 1" or 3/4' coming up from the tee? maybe the lower branch through the wall goes to the dhw equipment so it is 1" before the dhw branches off to keep the pressure better balanced between hot and cold.
  • numberforty1
    Options
    Hey, @mattmia2, the lower pipe appears to go to everything in the house, and the smaller one rising from the tee is just the outside spigot.

I definitely want to treat the boiler water, keeping scale out of the boiler is a large part of the reason for doing it.

So for installing it, does that mean I don't have to solder things? Would those screw clamp type pex fittings be easier than that? Any good videos on how one installs those or anything?

Thanks!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,660
    Options
    Actually, i'm not sure if there is a good way to connect to pex without a crimp tool of one form or another.

You don't want the treated water to go to the boiler, unless that is different than most other systems it just adds citric acid to the water which lowers the ph which will tend to corrode your heating system.
  • numberforty1
    Options
    @mattmia2 I can use a crimp tool, I'm just trying to figure out how to install this. Where/how would I make the connections, and with what connectors? This is not a citric acid system, it's a Template Assisted Crystalization system, doesn't corrode anything.