Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard heater ticking 24/7 (and it’s off!)

Options
sbecke3
sbecke3 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I moved about 6 months ago and am now in an apartment that has baseboard heaters. Past week I’ve been having the issue that there is a constant, rapid ticking noise coming from the heaters, even though it’s summer here and I have set the thermostat to the lowest setting so the heater won’t turn on (which it had been doing at night for whatever reason, which is another problem in itself).
Anyways I have absolutely no idea why it is ticking and the usual “metal expands and contracts with the heat” doesn’t apply here. It’s driving me nuts and I can’t fall asleep/wake up constantly as it seems to be louder in my bedroom. 
I’d appreciate any help if there’s any fix I can try myself before having to call someone (can’t currently get a hold of my landlord either).
thanks 

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    It could be another Appartment pulling up hot water and amplifying over to the baseboard piping ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Electric or Hot water baseboard?
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    edited August 2021
    Options
    can you feel the baseboard warm or hot either while it's ticking, or if it's quiet ?
    is there warmth or heat there?
    just the one baseboard or all or others of them ?
    known to beat dead horses
  • sbecke3
    sbecke3 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    @kcopp It’s a hot water baseboard. @neilc They’re all cold to the touch when ticking. So there’s one wall in the living room and one wall in the bedroom- I hear the bedroom the loudest, but the living room ones also tick as well just not as audible during the day due to background noises. If I’m not mistaken they’re all connected as well being hot water heaters. There’s an automatic bleeder valve, I had wanted to bleed them but seems like that’s taken care of which is the limit of my expertise...
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 835
    Options
    Pipes connected in loops (or circuits) are resonant. If something is "ticking" anywhere on the system, the noise will be transmitted throughout the loop(s). First place to check is in the boiler room. Then...anywhere else the pipes run.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    My guess is that there is a flow check that is not seating on the boiler piping. Im guessing that the boiler is also used to make domestic hot water. So the water in the boiler is hot and some hot boiler water trickles out into the system causing the expansion noises.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    or it could be the domestic hot moving around and touching and transmitting
    known to beat dead horses