Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Location of tapping for Spill F&T on multiple boilers.

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
I have two boilers feeding the same double drop header.
Boiler feed pump solenoid valve for each.
Gravity return is not an option.

I anticipate only one boiler on line after the steam is up.
The idle boiler will, of course collect water.

Planning on a spill pipe about 2" above the water line.
Must that tap be in the equalizer?

The skim port is 3" above the water line.
The pressure control tapping and the relief valve on the opposite side of boiler are 2" above the water line. Those 2 (both 3/4") seem to be the ideal place for the spill connection.

My thought was to replace the newly added Tee on the relief valve with a cross: pop off on top, skim pipe on bottom and CO plug to brush into the boiler.
Either 3/4" tapping would be directly into the boiler steam chest.

Now any of the ports mentioned above, including the equalizer pipe will run your skimming water thru the F&T and back to the pump/boiler.
It seems a ball valve before the F&T is necessary to prevent this.
Of the several diagrams I have studied, this is not mentioned.

Standard F&T piping has isolation valves usually on each side for servicing.
Has anyone else thought about this?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    If I recall correctly your putting 150s on those boilers.

Come out of the cross above the 150 and out of the cross below the 150 and tie them together with a cross at the height of the spill trap. I usually go just below the upper gauge glass tapping for height.
  • JUGHNE
    ED, so you feel the spill must come off of an equalized line?

I see now in the PB "The Color of Steam" book that the spill F&T should connect in the equalizer drop just above the HL connection (feeder pump inlet in this case).

These boilers are only 36" tall so the control side of the jacket gets pretty busy with piping.

That book also shows a valve at that connection before the F&T.....to be closed while skimming the boiler.

The top of the 150 is connected to the skim port with a riser, for height, to cross then 8" horizontal to another cross with 150 hanging below with cross connected to the boiler return inlet.

Thank you
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I think it would be better if it was equalized, an equalizer is.....equalized.

Just like putting a 150 on a hot water boiler if you don't vent the top air can get trapped above the control. However the trap installed it should have a way for air to get out.

I have seen them come off equalizers or the 1" pipe tree the controls are mounted on. That's usually what I have seen.

• JUGHNE
    It will be coming off the equalizer as the book shows.
    I have a new State inspector who will look this over and I can present the install book.

However it seems that the horizontal tap for the relief valve would work, the water comes up and spills out that point....there is steam pressure above that point just like the equalizer has. One must always follow the install instructions though...so it is in the equalizer.

A boiler this small does not have provisions for the 1" control pipe tree you speak of. The old 1million plus Kewanee had that set up.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @JUGHNE

Yes a side tapping off the side of the boiler would work if at the right height
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Typically the tapping for the steam trap should be about 4" above the top tubes of the boiler. It should be tapped directly into the boiler shell.

Jake