Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hybrid fan coil/furnace

Options
I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever installed a gas fired furnace with a radiant coil, so the radiant would be the primary heat and incase of boiler failure we could fire up furnace to heat home.

Basically replace Evap coil for radiant coil so to speak.

any insight would be helpful.

Cheers

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Your either mixing up some terms or not providing all the info.
    Do you have a boiler to do the radiant, and a furnace with a radiant coil...or do you just have a furnace and a coil for the radiant?
    steve
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,846
    Options
    The curiosity is healthy! However, what benefits would this provide? Why would the coil have priority? A high efficiency furnace is easier to get right compared to a high efficiency boiler because the return air temp is always low enough to condense, and standard boilers/furnace would be what and what. I think the gas furnace paired with AC/Heat pump is most common for a reason, you get redundancy, cooling, and higher efficiency.
    Henry
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    The system you describe is not radiant, it's a hydro-air setup. It's very common for wood boiler systems and yes it works well, but if using a gas or oil boiler there is no benefit to doing this. May I ask what the reason is behind this thought? Just redundancy?
    mattmia2