Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help finding nut

jsavage Member Posts: 42
I have a radiator with a valve that has an unusually-sized nut on the part of the fitting that seals off the valve stem. The shaft is the same size as my other valves, but the thread is much larger. I’ve put a standard one in the pictures to show the comparison. I’ve been to a few plumbing supply companies and no one was able to find me a replacement. There’s no union anywhere nearby, so I really don’t want to have to cut and rethread to replace the valve. 

I need a new nut because I over-tightened the existing one.
Homeowner from Providence, RI
Home b. 1897, one-pipe steam with a indirect gravity hot air system using Gold's pin radiators.


  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Is the nut cracked? I just see a small hole. Maybe it the hole can get a little weld/braze, and the valve repacked?

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,842
    Every valve has a different packing nut size. Your best bet may be to find some old valves and see if the nut from one of them will fit. Or, get the original nut brazed or something similar.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Or take valve to a machine shop and have a machinist mill one to match.
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    A simple but crude solution I have used is to put a small SS hose clamp around the nut and then snug it down......anyway, it worked for 2 PSI steam.
    Larry WeingartenkcoppBobC
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    edited May 2021
    If you show it to a web site that specializes in selling older faucet parts they might have a packing nut that fits.

    If it isn't actually split, you might be able to put a brass washer inside it.
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    There has to be a union somewhere..............or at least a left right coupling. Follow the pipe
  • moneypitfeeder
    moneypitfeeder Member Posts: 249
    You might be able to use a 2-part epoxy like metal-set/JB Weld/etc to patch it. Otherwise I'd look for a local machinist or a high school with a machining course that might like to give the students the challenge of measuring and creating the piece.

    There was an error rendering this rich post.

  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    I think you'd be better off just replacing that valve seeing as the stem appears to be broken. As It's not a union valve that should be relatively simple to do. Save yourself the trouble of fighting with that packing nut.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited May 2021

    I have been away for some time Guys and Gals, But I'm back for now before I BOLT for the next trip
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Are there 3 pipes connected to this valve?
    Is it a Honeywell Unique Water valve?

    What does it control?
    Back up for the big picture of things.
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,160
    Couple pictures from a few feet back would help
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,304
    Just a thought...It looks like the top of the nut split and blew out. I'm wondering if a heavy brass washer were fitted to the nut (after the broken bits were removed) and then soldered, or silver soldered into place, might that be sturdy enough for the job?

    Yours, Larry