Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Conditioned Space (New Ductwork Insulation Question)

Options
Background: Apartment that originally had hot water baseboard heat. We are now installing forced air hydrocoils with AC. As the job has been progressing and summer nearing I cannot seem to find a good answer as to whether this area where the ductwork will be located (Space above the first floor drywall ceiling and below the 2nd floor subfloor) is considered conditioned space? After the some of the ductwork has been installed sprayfoam has been applied to the exterior walls and joist bays above the ductwork. I have attached pictures of the ductwork and spray foam.

My main concern is the ductwork condensing and sweating. Right now the supply has Reflectix R4 insulation on it and the return is uninsulated. Typically on any attic install we use the fiberglass R8 insulation for everything. After our ductwork was installed they sprayed foamed the joist cavities as seen in the pictures. This to me just seems to be a grey area as to whether this space is conditioned or not.

My question is: IS this area considered conditioned space and do I have anything to be worried about as far as the ductwork sweating? Thanks in advance

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    I was going to ask if the 2d floor is conditioned but with spray foam above the duct and with the Refletcix on the duct I think your fine. If the 2d floor is also conditioned more the better. Where would the heat come from to cause condensation?

I suppose the insylator could also spray the ductwork but don't think you need to
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I think better safe then sorry applies here.
  • HVAC_P
    HVAC_P Member Posts: 20
    Options

I was going to ask if the 2d floor is conditioned but with spray foam above the duct and with the Refletcix on the duct I think your fine. If the 2d floor is also conditioned more the better. Where would the heat come from to cause condensation?

I suppose the insylator could also spray the ductwork but don't think you need to

Thank you for your response. The second floor is conditioned with ductless mini splits provided the tenants are running them.