Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: An American Love Story

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

An American Love Story

In this episode of Dead Men Tales, Dan Holohan shares the story of a century-old family business and the quiet pride that accompanies their manufacturing process.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com

Comments

• MrCofDG
    MrCofDG Member Posts: 40
    Options
    That is one fine story.
  • steamer45
    steamer45 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    AMEN, brother
  • bill_brooks
    bill_brooks Member Posts: 50
    Options
    when i was a young boyscout, our scoutmaster took us on a tour of STERLING FAUCET, he
    was plant manager. the plant was in sabraton (morgantown,wv).
    everything was cast there from fittings to chrome fixtures.

indeed, the folks on nite turn (that day) were warm and very open to questions we all asked.
    the fact that our scoutmaster was present didn't seem to present any trepidation. they
    openly described their duties and explained in detail how castings were made and ready
    for market.

the verticle integration of this plant was something to marvel. our tour was roughly 20yrs.
    after WWII had ended. yet the precision and devotion to quality persisted. i childessly
    assumed everything in the USA was still made this way.

it took little time in the real world to find out our traditional craftsmenship and the sacred
    oath to USA manufacturing would sent elsewhere.

years later our former scoutmaster could be found off in a corner of his son's bodyshop.

he was finishing and machining gate valves for submarines for the US NAVY.
    the rough castings came from you guessed it...... a small rockwell survivor of his old plant
    STERLING FAUCET (now a defunct sub of rockwell int.)
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Great story.

More to life than making money. It’s possible to own a company, do very very well, but still mfg products domestically, build a legacy and enjoy your work and be respected. I suppose investors might not think the same way.

This story might make me think twice about which brand products I choose when I have the option.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful comments. There truly is more to life than just making money. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Felt like I was there in Cranston with you Dan. Great Story thanks for sharing.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with everyone, it truly is an amazing place to "work" everyday. I know this sounds cliché but when you enjoy your job as much as most of us at Taco do, you hardly work a day in your life!

When we all get out of this and factory visits and training return, please don't hesitate to reach out and visit us!
    Dave H