Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why does this piping diagram is showing expansion tank on discharge side of circ?

Options
Mjplumbing
Mjplumbing Member Posts: 6
Hey everyone, Take a look at the link I attached and notice how the expansion tank is drawn on the discharge side of circulator. I am familiar with the Point of not pressure change on the system and for the life of me cant figure out why the manufacture show to install it this way? especially with PRV to fill the system installed directly behind circulator inside the unit. Please let me know thoughts on this, Im thinking its just drawn incorrect..

Comments

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    head scratcher
    known to beat dead horses
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    the notes mention a circulator in the air handler, it could be pumping way.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    The diagram doesn't show where the Naviens internal circulator is, but I think it's on the return. 
    Regardless, unless the air handler is right next to the boiler, I would still pipe it Primary/Secondary.
    SuperTech
  • Mjplumbing
    Options
    Navien has a separate drawing for an application with a pump inside the AHU
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    a small hydraulic sep would offer air, dirt, mag, and hydraulic separation, as another good option.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mjplumbing
  • Mjplumbing
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

The diagram doesn't show where the Naviens internal circulator is, but I think it's on the return. 
    Regardless, unless the air handler is right next to the boiler, I would still pipe it Primary/Secondary.

its on the supply for sure