Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Roth tanks

Options
dh1989
dh1989 Member Posts: 22
Hello,

I'm in the process of getting an estimate from an oil company to replace a 60 year old 275 gal steel indoor oil tank with a Roth tank. I've read some old threads regarding issues with these tanks and had a few questions. Are the rubber/floating pickup tubes still used inside the tank, or are they all being piped with copper at this point? Also, I currently have a Tigerloop with filter (TJN model) at the burner, and was wondering if it was prudent to get rid of the wool cartridge filter at the tank and just have the Tigerloop filter. The current setup has the wool filter at the steel tank outlet. I have 3/8" overhead copper line supplying the Tigerloop from the tank.

Please let me know if there are any other issues or concerns I should keep in mind with these tanks. I see that they've been around for a while now and have seen quite a few around here in outdoor installations.

Thanks.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Yeah no one is using, or shouldn't be using the floating pick up tubes.
    I personally like 2 filters at the tank (General, then spin on), and no Tiger Loop. But most people will tell you to keep the tiger loop at the burner-even Roth recommends it, and probably wouldn't hurt with overhead oil line. Keep it 3/8".
    As long as it installed per Roth's instructions (especially supporting the supply/vent) you should be fine.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

LS123Robert O'BrienSuperTechHVACNUT
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Can't go wrong with double filtration as Steve described. Some boiler manufacturers even specify this in the installation instructions.  I would recommend adding a vacuum gauge on your oil pump. With the overhead line you the potential for operating under a high vacuum if the filters become plugged. 
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    I don’t fully understand, you’re hiring some sort of a heating professional to install it, I sure hope they can do the job correctly. On that note, its a good thing you have a tiger loop. A lot of oil guys insist on putting a tiger loop on when there’s an overhead line. I think the floaty thing is a thing of the past. Not sure anybody use those anymore. 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • dh1989
    dh1989 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I would expect the job to be done correctly, I was more interested in what the latest practice was per Roth given the issues I saw about the pickup tube. I also like knowing how everything in the system works or is supposed to work.

The Tigerloop has a vacuum gauge on the line supplying the pump, which I understand is meant to register vacuum when the Tigerloop spin on filter starts to plug. If there were a restriction on the supply line (ie. filter at tank plugging), would that show vacuum on the Tigerloop gauge, or is the level of vacuum on the supply line isolated by the Tigerloop?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Roth recommends a solid tube or pipe in tank.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    STEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    @dh1989

The vacuum gauge will show any restriction between the vacuum gauge and the tank. Anything downstream of the vacuum gauge like the strainer in the oil pump will not show on the gauge. You could install a vacuum gauge on the pump which will show any restriction