Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Integral Flow Check

Options
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,006
edited March 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I ran into an older Taco DHW circulating pump with the IFC in the volute. It was intact and got me thinking that this is a better location for a check valve at least service-wise since it's a lot easier to work on. Having the IFC in the discharge requires you to remove the pump from the flanges in order to get to it.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
BillyO

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    I would suspect they would rather put any restriction on the discharge instead of the suction
    STEVEusaPA
  • Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Options
    So far I'm not impressed with the integral check valve.  As you can see they're plastic, and obviously made as cheap as possible.  Seen a few stick open already after a few years of use.  But what really burns me is the cost of a replacement check valve....really?  
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Bad idea to put a flow restriction close to the suction of a circulator, me thinks. Best practices is 12" of straight pipe up and downstream from the inlet and discharge. Checks in the discharge are not ideal either. These small wet rotor circs do handle some mis-piping and misapplication abuse.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    I think that may be a older style from taco ,if memory serves that was the first offering from taco for built in flow check I remember I had issues w a few being stuck . At the time I thought it was stupid so I switched to grunfos w the checks in the outlets and really have had no issues . Brings back old memories peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2021
    Options
    That is a bronze volute. You can not put a plastic check valve in the output of the volute because when one solders the connection, the dang thing melts.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    It is probably a DHW recirc, low head and always under line pressure, so cavitation would probably not be much of an issue.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream