Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai RUS75EN Ongoing Ignition issues (code 11)

Options
I've had this tankless unit for about 4 years now and I've dealt with code 11 problems the better part of all 4 of them. The issue seems like a connection problem to me as I'm able to get it to ignite every time simply by touching the connection of the wire to the electrode. See youtube link below for video. I've replaced the ignitor, the wire, the electrode, and the gasket all together, and that worked for a good long while, but now the issue is back. Sometimes after I get it to start as seen in the video it works fine for a while, and sometimes it requires me to do this every single time. I also notice it seems to come and go with weather patterns (outdoor unit). I'll get it going then it'll work for days/weeks until a weather change then back to code 11.

Any ideas? Replace the electrode again? Just clean it and see if that works? Do I always need a fresh gasket every time I open it?

https://youtu.be/VOM1CtugX0c

Comments

• toeknee
    toeknee Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Is it grounded correctly? The power supply to the unit, the ground inside the box behind the outlet needs to actually be connected to ground. Ive seen many that are not grounded properly. Not sure if this would cause your issue or not. My thinking is along the lines of when the ignitor is new, It doesn't need quite as much current to get a good spark. But as time goes on, after some use, that lacking current due to insufficient ground isn't quite enough to light the ignitor adequately anymore. I could be wrong though. just an idea
    Arizona
  • kerklein2
    kerklein2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    toeknee said:

Is it grounded correctly? The power supply to the unit, the ground inside the box behind the outlet needs to actually be connected to ground. Ive seen many that are not grounded properly. Not sure if this would cause your issue or not. My thinking is along the lines of when the ignitor is new, It doesn't need quite as much current to get a good spark. But as time goes on, after some use, that lacking current due to insufficient ground isn't quite enough to light the ignitor adequately anymore. I could be wrong though. just an idea

I mean I have a ground wire connected to the house ground run into the unit and well connected. Not sure how to test if that ground is "grounded" though. Advice?