Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett Burner Squeal

Options
StephenPelosa
StephenPelosa Member Posts: 20
Replaced my Beckett Burner about 1 1/2 years go. AFG series. I've noticed a high pitched squeal coming from the burner on start up. It lasts about 2 minutes. Then goes away. Not every time you hear the squeal. I have a 10 micron filter with a gauge. I changed the filter, thinking maybe that was the cause. Gauge for the filter was still in the green, but close to the yellow. Still have this erratic squeal. The reason I changed the burner was that the old burner was at least 15 years old and started to have a noisy motor. Thoughts?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I would have replaced the burner motor 18 months ago.

Is this a DYI job?

The squeal could be any number of things.
    Is it a metal-on-metal noise like the burner fan is hitting the housing?
    Is there something stuck in the burner fan?
    Do you have the Beckett clean-cut pump that looks like this?

Not a fan of this one. could be the noise because you are operating close to the end of the "Green Limit"

If you have this pump, you are better off.

this pump can handle more vacuum (1/2 way into the yellow) without the noise

Never replace the PF10323 pump with another PF pump. Always use an A2EA-5627 pump.

I have even heard burner noise from air leaking in some fashion making a whistling sound. That will change with changes in the barometric pressure outside.

Are you properly set up for air, oil mixture with no smoke using combustion testing equipment?

If you can post a video on Youtube, Instagram, or Facebook and post that link here so we can actually hear the noise, that will help.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• StephenPelosa
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I do have the PF10323. Set up correctly and running fine. Yes, its a DYI.Was set up with a combustion analyzer. Could be something in the fan. Definitely not air sucking in from some where. I'll have to get a video of it making noise. Trouble is, its my second home, only here 2 days a week. Only makes noise sporadically.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    Based on the PF10323 pump I would bring an A2EA pump with, when you go. Beckett burner has a 3-year warranty on parts, so I would return the PF for warranty credit after you swap it out. Bring a pressure 0-200 PSI gauge with and check the pressure before you remove the pump, then set the replacement pump at the same pressure They are inexpensive and you can attach a 3/16 flare adaptor on the gauge. That will fit the high-pressure copper line that feeds the nozzle line. rin the burner and watch the pressure during the trial-for-ignition portion of the start-up cycle. (about 15 seconds)

If you have the combustion kit GREAT. If you borrowed one (Even Better) then you will want to bring it with also. If you have to pay for a service call to get combustion analysis, then as long as the pump pressure is identical, your air/oil adjustment should not change. But have it checked before next winter.

Hope this is helpful

Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• StephenPelosa
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate it! I'll wait this the early spring comes. It's working fine now. The house is in East Hampton NY. Not a lot of parts stores available out there. I'm 100 miles in Queens. I can get everything kind of quickly. I monitor the heat through the internet. Pretty cool.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    You must have exceptional hearing... from a squeal in the Hamptons all the way to Queens... WOW!

The internet must be really good there.

My connection is so slow... then I looked outside and found out why!

Edward Young Retired

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    You pass a Ferguson every time you go there. Corner of Southampton bypass and David Whites Ln.
    Do you have a pressure gauge?
    A new pump comes shipped at 100 psi. Even if your burner is spec'd at 100 psi, it still needs to be confirmed. 
    What year and model number is the boiler or furnace?
    Is it one pipe or two pipe?
    Has anyone checked for a vacuum leak?
    The supply houses are limited east of Flying Point Rd but there are tons of HVAC contractors. The parade started up again on the 8th.

• StephenPelosa
    Options
    It's a Slant Fin Liberty L series.It was installed about 25 years ago. I have a pressure gauge, but never checked it. Recently installed a Tiger Loop. I like the Tiger Loop. I never had it checked for a vacuum leak.I was listening for the noise on start up today, but didn't hear it. The long story is, I had a contract with a well known oil supply company, which I won't name. They did a terrible job. Even caused me more of an expense on a yearly tune up. Without the once in awhile squeal, I am happy the way it is running. I maintain it myself, and yes I have a Fyright Bacharach scanner. Up to date also. While I monitor the heat from my home in Queens, I am quite happy with doing this myself.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited March 2021
    Options

It's a Slant Fin Liberty L series.It was installed about 25 years ago. I have a pressure gauge, but never checked it. Recently installed a Tiger Loop. I like the Tiger Loop. I never had it checked for a vacuum leak.I was listening for the noise on start up today, but didn't hear it. The long story is, I had a contract with a well known oil supply company, which I won't name. They did a terrible job. Even caused me more of an expense on a yearly tune up. Without the once in awhile squeal, I am happy the way it is running. I maintain it myself, and yes I have a Fyright Bacharach scanner. Up to date also. While I monitor the heat from my home in Queens, I am quite happy with doing this myself.

Checking for a vacuum leak can be done with the gauge on the filter. Get it to operate then close the fuel tank valve off. As the gauge goes past the Yellow and gets close to the Red, turn off the burner. Leave the burner off for 15 minutes. There should be no change on the gauge. (you can accelerate the procedure by opening the priming port to purge fuel and close it prime port as soon as you reach 20" vacuum) If the gauge drops to zero quickly, then you have a substantial vacuum leak. If it drops only a little in 15 minutes, then you have a minor vacuum leak. You will also see air bubbles or a mist caused by microbubbles in the Tigetrloop.

A leak-free fuel line will have no sign of foam or bubbles or any discoloration in the Tigerloop fuel reservoir. It should look like Red Wine in the clear chamber with no foam from start to finish on each burner cycle.

Sounds like you got a handle on your oil burner. Good to hear you have the tools and knowledge to properly set up the burner. I found one trick when completing a tune-up and maintenance for customers over the years. Once you set up the burner properly, you rarely need to make any adjustments. I just clean the dust off the burner fan every year and that gets the Air mixture back to the original setting without moving the air gate adjustment open every year as the fan loads up with dust and lint. The maintenance is so much faster and more fun to do when the burner is properly maintained.

Yours truly,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

• StephenPelosa
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I appreciate it! As for the tiger loop, I never see air bubbles in the top part. But good to know on how to check vacuum. I kinda figured I could check vacuum with the filter gauge. I'm going to replace the oil tank once the weather breaks. I have a Granby in the basement already. Just need to get past freezing and use up the oil. As for the maintenance, you are right. Get it set, and a tune up is much easier. When the burner locks out, its a 100 mile drive for me. Hasn't happened in over 7 years! I must be doing something right! But thanks again for your input. I'm learning all the time!
    EdTheHeaterManSuperTech
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Maybe the firomatic on the tiger loop is failing or partially failing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

StephenPelosa
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Options
    @nicholas bonham-carter

Thanks.
    There is no bad joke like a DAD joke!

BTW, every time I read your NBC signature, I hear three notes playing in my head (then a peacock spreads its feathers)

Edward Young Retired