Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: The Curious History of PEX

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited March 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

The Curious History of PEX

If a shoe factory had been present in Thomas Engel’s vicinity at the time he invented PEX, we would perhaps today be walking around on shoe soles made of cross-linked polyethylene. In this episode, Dan Holohan shares the fascinating story behind PEX and its brilliant inventor.

Listen and subscribe here.
Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    There isn't a whole heck of a lot online about Mr. Engel. I'm looking forward to learning how he ended up in Sweden with Wirsbo and the chicken farmers?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    The chicken farmer was in Germany, as was Mr. Engel. He went to Wirsbo because they were the largest producer of metal pipe around and he convinced them that the future was in plastics. The Olympics was an opportunity to sell a LOT of tubing to warm the field. It all worked out nicely.
    Retired and loving it.
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesAnthonyReikowjeantMarjPinard
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 355
    Options
    Ah, that explains it. I had wondered what the connection with/to Sweden was (since you mentioned meeting him there).
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Wirsbo/Uponor has been around since 1620. They started out making steel weapons for the King of Sweden. The town of Virsbo is named for the company.

When Mr. Engel first approached the good folks at Wirsbo, I imagine him as a German version of Mr. McGuire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCHH5D74Fs
    Retired and loving it.
    MarjPinard
  • SteamCrazy
    SteamCrazy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Great story. Thanks, Dan it's a shame that Mr. Engel didn't get to prove his theory on his Quantum-Deviation Apparatus.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    He was quite a guy.
    Retired and loving it.
    jeantMarjPinard
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 395
    Options

There isn't a whole heck of a lot online about Mr. Engel. I'm looking forward to learning how he ended up in Sweden with Wirsbo and the chicken farmers?

https://youtu.be/N7QI8m9DsHI
    jeantMarjPinard
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. It's great to see it in action.
    Retired and loving it.
    jeant
  • TomP
    TomP Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you for the history of things we often use.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    It’s my pleasure!  Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
    MarjPinard
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    came sniffing around the wall . been awhile ! Kathy and laughed pretty good there Dan . great reference!
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I was just thinking about you the other day, Mike! So good to have some Cheese back in the house!
    Retired and loving it.
    MarjPinard
  • Wockley6
    Wockley6 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    After more than a month on my things to do, I read your article and immediately thought of my four grandsons (no girls). I sent the link to my son and son-in-law, with a request that they go over your posting with their sons. As an over educated idiot, when the light bulb in my head finally came on, I have searched out the council of many with little or no educated smart and one especially who could not string a written sentence together. I definitely wish I had met Mr. Engel...
    MarjPinard
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I like that. Thanks @Wockley6
    Retired and loving it.
    MarjPinard