Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Equally distributed oil in two tanks

Options
mummaf
mummaf Member Posts: 1
edited March 2021 in Oil Heating
I have two oil tanks. When I just got oil the delivery did not distribute evenly between the two tanks. In fact it only went to one tank and this has happened once before and there is something that just needs to be lifted but not sure what to do. There is an upside down y shaped wire going from one tank to the other and meeting in the middle. Now one tank is showing as empty if I bleed the air out will that even out the tanks?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    post photos ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Something is clogged and/or piped wrong. But some photos showing all the piping and how the tanks are connected would help.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,861
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If the tanks are connected at the bottom with small tubing (like 1/2" or 3/8" copper) and both tank valves are open, then the tanks will level out eventually. If however there is a blockage in the connecting tube (like a closed valve) then the burner will only draw from the tank that is open. If that is the empty tank, then you need to get the blockage removed (or the valve opened).

Yours truly,
    Mr.Ed

P.S.

I this info does not help, then post Pictures of the fuel lines at the bottom of the tank and how they are connected, and a picture of the fill and vent pipes at the top of the tanks from far enough back to see how they are connected.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?