Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water heating zone staying on

Options
gary2085
gary2085 Member Posts: 2
i have three zones on my boiler, one circulator and three V8043 Zone Valves. today one of the zones would not shut off when the room reached temp. i turned the thermostat off and the zone continued to pump heat. i saw that the zone valve was staying open. i tapped the valve motor a few times lightly and the zone closed. put the thermostat on again and valve opens and closes when i turn the thermostat off. so is it the motor on the valve or the springs? i've read online answers that point to either one. I'm wondering if the motor got stuck then that might have kept the spring from closing the valve since it closed after I tapped it a few times? 

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    For as easy as it is to change, I would change the whole powerhead. In my experience, that problem is somehwere in the spring/gear assembly that returns the valve to closed. I have tried to 'fix' them in the past, and it usually is not worth the effort. If it were me, I would just order the replacement head, and have it on hand, in case it happens again. Who knows, the 'technical tap' that you gave it, may have fixed it :)

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-Home-40003916-026-Replacement-Head-for-V8043E-Zone-Valves
    rick in Alaska
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    I prefer "percussion adjustment" rather than "technical tap". But I would still give the same advice.

Yours truly,
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

delta T
  • gary2085
    gary2085 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and changed the white assembly. Pipes go thru a unconditional crawl space so didn't want to have it happen again and have to turn zone off in winter or have it running all time. Paid a little more for the part at a local  store but saved atleast 150 for a house call. I'll save the link for future need. Thanks again. 
    bucksnort