Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recirc Pump to Cold line with RO system

Hello, I've bought the pump already and only thought about possible contamination afterwards. Not yet installed, it's the type that uses the cold water line and mixing valve, instead of dedicated return line.

I'm wondering are any tricks, using check valves, to attempt at keeping the RO line clean / cold water only. Or should I just return this, and to it using a dedicated line.

Thanks in advance.

Rough pipe distance: RO System <> 20 feet <> Water Tank <> 20 feet Bathroom

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    martinamw, good question. No one want warm water coming out of their RO faucet.

Best bet a dedicated return line. I guess you are doing this to improve the water taste and getting rid of the trihalomethanes along with chlorine.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Just my personal opinion, but RO is overkill for treating drinking water, it strips all the good parts out of the water with the bad.
    A selection of cartridge filters can "polish" water to remove taste and odor. The key is identifying what you want removed.
    Knowing the RO water needs to be in plastic as it eats through metallic piping is enough reason for me to not drink it :)

I suspect RO membranes have a temperature limitation?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Kickstand55
    Kickstand55 Member Posts: 109
    I realize this is an old post, but for anyone reading it having issues with water, get your water tested at a reputable laboratory. This will pinpoint water problems so one can make good decisions on conditioning and treatment.
    Don't think for one minute that a simple Big Box store water filter will fix anything, especially chemically contaminated or corrosive water. The afore mentioned includes chlorides, or chlorine which many municipalities are adding to water these days. Medications are showing up in some areas also.
    Get it tested, it's WELL, (pun) worth it!