Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my by-pass working?

Options
dbsoccer
dbsoccer Member Posts: 34
No quite sure how to tell if the by pass is working properly. Even if the water in the zones are hot (simple touch/feel in various parts of the house), how do you confirm the by-pass is completely closed? The valve could be stuck and partially open and could be mixing? Is there anyway to tell?

Comments

• dbsoccer
    Options
    I was thinking about some way to check flow. Is there some clever tool that can detect flow in a pipe externally?
  • dbsoccer
    Options
    I had thought about temperature but figured there would be so much conduction heat transfer in the short distances that the temperature variation would be hard to detect. And if there was a difference it would small but would it be due to actual water temperatures or bad measurement technique. I'll have to try this using the tape and see what I find. So thanks! I haven't tried it but I was thinking maybe I could hear water flowing through the by-pass. Auto mechanics have some very sensitive listening devices so they can hear where clicks and clacks are coming from when they are covered up with all the other engine noises when listening normally.